Hallett Veterinary Hospital, INC.

5744 Brown Street
Oconomowoc, WI 53066

(262)569-0801

www.hallettvet.com

Summer Poisons

According to statistics compiled by the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, the summer months are the most dangerous for pets.  Most calls to the poison control center were due to exposure to insecticides, rodenticides, and herbicides.

You can help protect your pets from lesser-known poisons by preventing their exposure to them.

  • Charcoal Lighter Fluid: Contact with lighter fluid can cause skin to dry and crack.  If your pet ingested it vomiting can occur.  Inhalation can result in rapid spreading in the lungs.  Chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema can results.



     
  • Wooden Deck Wash or Tire Wash:Corrosive agents in these cleansers can cause oral and esophageal burns with possible stricture formation if ingested.

        

                     
  • Grapes and Raisins: Renal failure can occur in dogs after ingestion of any variety of grapes or raisins.



     
  • Macadamia Nuts: Transient, hind limb paralysis can occur in dogs that eat large amounts of these nuts.



     
  • Lilies:These plants, including Easter, tiger, stargazer, Japanese show, and some day lilies, can cause renal failure in cats.  Even a small amount from any part of the plant can cause a severe reaction.

                 

     
  • Glow Sticks: These toys that children get at fairs and carnivals contain dibutyl phthalate.  Cats that ingest this liquid will drool excessively.  This problem usually resolves within minutes.

If your believe your pet has ingested anything toxic, please call us immediately.  Please have the package available as we are talking with you.

Have a safe summer.